History

Elmhurst Choral Union has been based at Elmhurst College since 1952.

Originally established as a student and faculty ensemble, ECU expanded to include singers from the community in 1961, when we merged with a pre-existing choir run by Elmhurst Park District.

Elmhurst Choral Union continues to welcome skilled singers of all ages, including student singers. Elmhurst College students may earn credit while singing with us.

Our repertoire has always encompassed standards of the choral-orchestral repertoire, while also highlighting rare works by a wide variety of composers. We have performed recent compositions in every decade of our history.

ECU has collaborated with several local ensembles over the years, including Elmhurst Symphony, Spirito! Singers, Salt Creek Chamber Orchestra, and DuPage Symphony.

Elmhurst Choral Union became an auditioned ensemble in 1998. In 2001, ECU incorporated as a not-for-profit.

Our annual Medley of Melodies concert was created to give our singers a chance to shine in solos and small ensembles. Medley of Melodies takes free-will donations, making the music accessible to everyone.

In 2015, we launched Elmhurst Choral Union Chamber Singers, a smaller, a cappella ensemble, to spread music throughout the community. Other community initiatives include participation in Elmhurst Garden Walk and concert-connected food drives for Elmhurst-Yorkfield Food Pantry.

In 2016, Scott Uddenberg became the fifth conductor in Elmhurst Choral Union history.